Though a seemingly sensitive subject, the truth is there’s no need to feel uneasy when talking about upgrading the diamond in your engagement ring. While your ring holds sentimental value, trading-in your center stone won’t take away from that.
Perhaps your style has changed since you received your engagement ring or maybe you now have the budget to own to the lab-grown diamond you’ve always wanted. No matter the reason, we’ve made it easy for you to trade-in your diamond center stone. MiaDonna’s comprehensive upgrade policy covers lab-grown diamonds and the Diamond Hybrid®. Here’s how it works.
Upgrading a Lab-Grown Diamond for a Lab-Grown Diamond
Any lab-grown diamond purchased from MiaDonna can be exchanged for credit equivalent to the original purchase price that can be applied toward a new lab-grown diamond that is at minimum two (2) times greater in value. In order to be eligible, the original lab-grown diamond must be accompanied by its original documentation, grading report and must be in saleable condition. Fees may apply for any damaged reports.
Upgrading a Diamond Hybrid for a Diamond Hybrid
Any Diamond Hybrid purchased from MiaDonna can be exchanged for credit equivalent to the original purchase price that can be applied toward a new Diamond Hybrid that is at minimum half a carat larger in size. For example, if you have a 1.0 carat Diamond Hybrid, you would need to upgrade to at least a 1.5 carat Diamond Hybrid to be eligible.
Upgrading a Diamond Hybrid for a Lab-Grown Diamond
Any Diamond Hybrid purchased from MiaDonna can be exchanged for credit equivalent to the original purchase price that can be applied toward a new lab-grown diamond that is of equal or greater value. The Diamond Hybrid being upgraded must be in original condition for eligible trade-in.
1. Can I upgrade my diamond for a different shaped stone?
Absolutely! If needed, you'd simply pay for the new prong head or new setting.
2. Do you recommend upgrading in size or quality?
If you have purchased a Diamond Hybrid, you may already have a good size stone. In that case, we see many people upgrading to a smaller lab-grown diamond that is a higher quality stone. You can continue upgrading the size on the lab-grown diamond as time goes on as many times as you’d like.
If you have purchased a lab-grown diamond, most people upgrade to a greater size rather than quality. It’s important to note that sometimes in order to get a larger stone, you need to sacrifice the color or clarity depending on your budget and desired stone characteristics.
3. When is my stone eligible for upgrade?
From the day you receive the ring! Though if you upgrade within the first 30 days, it is considered an exchange.
4. What is the average cost of a new prong head for an upgrade?
New prong heads typically range $150-200 in 14K or 18K gold or $300-350 in platinum.
5. What if my stone is damaged? Is it even worth sending in to be evaluated?
Yes! MiaDonna is founded by consumers and service is our top priority. Unless the damage is severe, we try our best to offer some credit back on the stone.
6. I bought my ring over 5 years ago and do not have the original paperwork. Am I still eligible?
As long as we are able to pull up your order in our system or can confirm your ring is originally from MiaDonna you are eligible.
7. Can I upgrade my stone and keep the old stone?
No. In order to provide a full credit, MiaDonna will keep the old stone.
- Upgrades are not available for colored gemstones or settings.
- Some settings cannot accommodate a larger stone and will need to be remade in order to do so.
- Any damaged lab-grown diamond or Diamond Hybrid is disqualified from the upgrade program.
- Associated costs to set a new stone in your existing setting are not included and will be provided at time of upgrade.
- Upgrade credit does not include duty, shipping charges, or tax paid on the original purchase. All applicable duties, shipping charges, and taxes will be charged on the full retail price of the new stone before any credit is applied.
Have additional questions? Please email us at email@example.com for more information on our diamond upgrade policy.