Caring for your Diamond Hybrid®, Lab-Created Diamond, or Gemstone
Your MiaDonna fine jewelry is handcrafted just for you to last a lifetime. With the proper treatment and gentle care, your jewelry will remain sparkling, treasured, and admired for years to come. This jewelry care guide describes the best ways for jewelry and stones to be cleaned and cared for.
Jewelry is worn by millions of people every day, but often people forget that their jewelry is meant to be decorative, not indestructible. It is how you preserve and care for these treasures that will help them last over time. Here are some basic guidelines to consider when wearing jewelry:
- Remove Jewelry During Tasks - When performing manual tasks, remove your jewelry to prevent physical damage or exposure to chemicals or cleaning fluids. Some tasks that should be avoided when wearing jewelry include kitchen work, gardening, cleaning the house, moving furniture and other common tasks.
- Put Jewelry On After Applying Your Makeup - Cosmetics, hairspray, perfumes and lotions can contain chemicals that can often damage or cause build-up on your jewelry or precious stones. Putting on your jewelry on after applying these items will limit exposure to jewelry and any potential damage or build-up that may result.
- Don't Wear Jewelry In Swimming Pools and Spas - Chlorinated water can react with the metals found in jewelry causing color changes and sometimes even structural damage. As a result, it's a good idea to remove your jewelry before entering the pool or spa.
- Contact Sports and Jewelry Don't Mix - Hard blows during sports can damage jewelry not to mention the people involved. You should always remove all of your jewelry before play begins.
- Jewelry items should be stored carefully when not in use - Try to protect your jewelry when you are not wearing it, by avoiding contact with other jewelry as diamonds can scratch anything, including other diamonds.
If you wear your jewelry daily or often, keeping your jewelry clean and looking good requires regular effort. Here are some basic guidelines to consider when cleaning your jewelry:
- Remove Your Jewelry Before Bathing - Remove all jewelry before showering or cleaning. Soap can cause a film to build-up or be left behind that will make your jewelry and stones appear dull, cloudy or dingy. By preventing the formation of this film, you will immediately reduce how often you need to have occasions of servicing or deep cleaning.
- Use Jewelry Polishing Cloths for Best Results - Polish your Gold with a jewelry polishing cloth for best results. You can also use a soft towel or cloth baby diaper, but the professional cloths are the best. Use of facial tissue or paper towels can cause scratches because of coarse fibers in these products.
- Clean Your Jewelry With Care - Cleaning your jewelry regularly can keep it looking beautiful, but be careful. You receive fantastic eco-friendly, non-toxic jewelry cleaner with your purchase, but you can also purchase commercial cleaners from the store. Be sure to only use nonabrasive cleaners (such as the Connoisseurs brand) and NEVER use bleach as can destroy your beautiful piece of jewelry.
- Only Use Warm Water to Clean Jewelry - Using warm water is best when cleaning your jewelry. Hot water can cause a reaction with the cleaning solution resulting in discoloration of the precious metal. Should this occur, contact us and we can help by polishing the metal.
- Inspect Your Jewelry Regularly - Jewelry is meant to be decorative, not indestructible, so we recommend checking it yourself and sending to us periodically or as needed for any maintenance needs you may have. Addressing any signs of damage or loose stones immediately will prevent any further damage or loss and keep your jewelry pieces in top shape and at peak brilliance for a lifetime.
Caring for your Diamond Hybrid and lab-created gemstones
While incredibly hard, lab-created gemstones and the Diamond Hybrid are susceptible to the same types of peril that could cause a natural diamond or gem to chip or crack. It is important that you adhere to the following guidelines (above and below) for wear and care of your Diamond Hybrid and lab-created gemstone.
At home cleaning
The best way to clean your Diamond Hybrid and lab-created gemstone is in warm water, mild dish soap and a very soft (children's) toothbrush or the eco-friendly, non-toxic jewelry cleaner included with your purchase.
- Allow your jewelry to soak in the soapy water for a few minutes; the hand dishwashing liquid will help dissolve the grease from body oils, which play a large part in trapping dirt onto your jewelry and stones.
- With a soft toothbrush, gently(!) wash the jewelry to break up the trapped dirt/grime. Be sure to get the underside of your stone with the brush, if possible. Build-up on the underside of the stones will make them look dull and gray.
- Rinse in clean (warm) water and pat dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
In home professional Ultrasonic Cleaners are now available for purchase at MiaDonna.com, click here to get your own!
You can send your MiaDonna jewelry in to us or take to a local jeweler for a more thorough professional cleaning. Your jewelry will either be cleaned with steam or ultrasound (or both). Neither method will cause any problems and will help in keeping your jewelry at peak brilliance. We recommend "Ultrasonic Cleaning" every so often to deep clean. Ultrasonic cleaning is the best way to get all lotions, hairspray and foreign matter off your jewelry and stones. Regular cleaning will keep your jewelry and stones in gleaming condition and ready to sparkle on that special occasion.